BACKGROUND INC - Jennifer Feraday - Pushy & Unprofessional

Apr 14, 2010
review #178328

Stay clear of Jennifer Feraday of Background Inc of NYC.She is pushy, unprofessional and sends out unsolicited underpaying job opportunities to models and actors/actresses that are located on casting resource websites (castingnetworks.com).

She'll call you incessantly, give you guilt trips and manipulate to get her way. She won't take no for an answer, is abrupt, throws insults and disrespects those that politely decline her offerings, then will hang up on you so she gets the last word in. We get that you made it all the way out of the big T.O. to pursue your dreams as an extra agent in the big apple, but your style and bullying nature won't get you anywhere.

A $150-250 gig that offers high profile and exposure is one thing, but a gig that will never see the light of day and an in-house production for a full day of work is a complete waste of time, particularly to those with a multiple of projects and a already established career on the go.

Aspiring actors/actresses and models, be wary, there's plenty of opportunities out there with more appreciative and professional agents and resources out there.

a98b0e6
Had an experience with Background Inc?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
jimmyg620

Jan 20

I can say Jennifer has always been polite to me and the people I know

Jul 22, 2013

I have done many jobs for background inc, se are below rate
Ie in house ads others are union rate. You have
To understand there are thousands of potential
Actors that call her office and just drop by etc. news flash most ny
Agents are pushy etc. get in a different business. Finally I try to never turn her jobs
Down because I was lucky enough to get upgraded
On a Verizon commercial and went on to make over 268k.

SAM

May 10, 2013 Long Island City, New York

Have to agree with others here. The people at this place have such an inflated sense of importance about themselves and what they do that it's laughable. Spoke again with Elliott who sounds like a cokehead, :eek he babbles on so fast , mostly about how important he and his job is ...lol. It is his pleasure NOT TO SERVE YOU! No one needs this kind of aggravation and frankly working for this kind of people only encourages them. I wouldn't work for them nor would I recommend others needing a casting person to hire them.

Lars

Dec 10, 2012 Brooklyn, New York

This is a smear against a professional, decent person. I am a professional, union actor who has successfully worked with Jennifer for years and have NEVER had anything but pleasant and positive experiences with her.

I think this post is reflective of the person who posted it: unprofessional, spoiled, and doesn't know diddly about the business. First of all, contrary to the original post, SHE IS NOT AN AGENT. She is a CASTING DIRECTOR. If you don't know the difference, you shouldn't be giving feedback at all, you should learn how the business works, first.

Commercials, both for principals and background, cast very quickly, at the last minute, and are often abruptly changed from moment to moment. This doesn't have anything to do with the casting office, they are simply following what production wants. If you want to work in commercials, you have to be flexible. Not hearing the phone because you're eating dinner is not professional. Thinking you can leave set at a particular point of the day is not professional (when you're booked you're booked for the ENTIRE DAY AND EVENING). Saying yes to work, then saying you're not available once you've been booked is not professional. I've never, EVER, been screamed at by her or anyone else in this office. It could be possible that under high pressure situations, some *** will get yelled at because they are not aware of these basic facts and will get what's coming to them.

I have earned
... Show more

marilyn

Oct 25, 2012

I was contacted by Background Inc at the last minute, late in the afternoon, I said OK what are the particulars..Then I was told IF I BOOK YOU I WILL CALL YOU BACK. At 6pm I started making dinner for my family and pretty much figured it was not a go. I could not hear my cell phone. After 6 pm I received 3 phone calls. The last one from Jennifer leaving a very rude message. If this organization is so professional then they should have a 24 hr way of handling situations like this. I got Jennifer rude message at 8 pm telling me I had been replaced. I called back at 8:05 that when I finally got her message telling I would never work for them. As I read from above, it is no big loss. As in other blogs..I suspect the good reviews are from employees or friends. I found the way my situation was handed was unprofessional there was no need for the rudiness. If Jennifer had a better system in place this would have never happened. Also they could have asked me for a backup telephone number. Anyone I have worked with has an emergency number and can be reached late a night.

annon700

Oct 15, 2013

You figured it was a no go but yet you didn't hear your cell phone when it rang.
That's your problem, not hers which is why she replaced you. If you want to work
you have to be available to answer your phone, it's that simple.

She doesn't have the time nor the inclination to deal with people that are irresponsible such as yourself who say they are available but don't have the brains to put their phone close to them just in case it rings.

I would find something else to do.

me

Oct 14, 2012

she screamed at me on the phone for no reason - is that how you conduct business? she has yelled at several other background people. i don't know why production companies use her to book background. she charges people to register with her agency (which is probably illegal) and then you don't hear from her about work.

Yan B.

Dec 19, 2012 New York City, New York

I think you might actually have a problem with this company because you don't get works from them. They are the best in the business in NYC. Perhaps you need to meditate.

daisy

Oct 04, 2012

Elliot is who called me today for a job ? (I couldn't understand him because he spoke so fast) I asked but again couldn't understand him. He said I submitted this morning but I have gone through every submission and can't find a project name that sounds like what he said. He scolded me when I couldn't get out of a commitment I made. He proceeded to school me not to submit unless I was available for the entire day and that now he had to go back to the director who was interested in me to tell him no. I said, I am totally open for a day when I submit but still felt like he thought I was dog *** he had to wipe off his shoe. I would really like a way of knowing when the posting is posted by Background Inc. I'd like to avoid them.

Eric

Jul 17, 2012

She is terrible and crazy. If you're looking to use someone to book extras use ANYONE BUT Background Inc. She's rude, and called me a liar after her staff told me the gig was over at 6PM. When I was told by crew it was over later, I told them I was told by the booking agent it was 6PM. So I called her. She hung up on me and said she will never book me again for lying to her, when all I wanted was to find out what was the correct information. Then she said I'm calling them to make sure they don't pay you! Don't work with this woman. She is nuts and people will not want to work with YOU again if you do.

Truth. Very Bad background age

Jul 11, 2012

Jennifer has bipolar issues. What a mean nasty person!! She has her friends post good reviews on here. So if you read anything good now you know why! Go with Grant Wilfey or Central Casting- they are nice and treat you with respect. Jennifer has a very bad reputation so our best advise is to work with another agency.

Horrible agency!!!!!!

Jul 11, 2012

I agree! Jennifer is very RUDE!!! I get work in this industry as a model and actress. I have done editorials and campaigns. I couldnt take a job as background bc I was booked with diff better agency for a lead role. She was very rude and left a voicemail saying all kinds of nasty things. Honestly I was very shocked at the things that came outta her mouth! If you wanna work with someone who is unprofessional and someone whos downright mean then this is your agency..This was my first experience with this company and my very last! Ive worked with a lot of great people but by far Jennifer is the rudest of them all!!!!

jimmy gencarelli

Mar 20, 2012

I am the first guy to take someones head off...and drink cold blood from the dead body...but I think that Jennifer is AOK ,never had a complaint , over 10 yrs , in dealing with her or her agency, and if anyone wants to call me a liar , than lets meet with guns on any street you want...

Mark Andre

Feb 03, 2012

Whomever made the initial complaint has got to be talking about another casting agency. We gotten nothing but work with Jennifer and if you show up on time and don't make waves on the set you'll continue to get work. he personality you describe is the exact opposite of Jennifer.

Charles Parshley

Jan 19, 2012

I have just recently worked with Jennifer for the first time, she booked me on the season 3 promo for The Big C with Laura Linney. It was a great job and she was on the ball the whole time. As an actor there is a lot of down time and doing back round is nothing to be ashamed about. It pays the bills, it's all part of the business and being on the set just feels good. It's how you look at things in life which makes you the person you are. There is good and bad in everything, find the good and focus on the positive. When On set doing BG it just makes me want that day player role even more, what a great feeling! Today I am grateful to Jennifer.

actors and actresses

Nov 28, 2011

use other agencies like Grant Wilfrey;
Sylvia Faye, AmeriFilms and NetworkCasting.com and do not ever pay anyone

The above alone will get you work in NYC

Kev

Sep 27, 2011

I payed the fee a year and a half ago I guess, when I started with them it was $35. I have worked with them a lot(20x or so), made great connections, money, and had a lot of fun. I have never found them to be rude or pushy. As a a full time Actor I feel really lucky to be on their roster. Sometimes, all the work in NYC will dry up, and you can still get a call from BG Inc. If she calls you, just do it. Thats my advice.

Julia

Sep 13, 2011

I have spoke with her on the phone a few times and she has always been nice. It is the nature of the commercial industry that they take 30-90 days to pay. I have gotten 4 jobs through them And never registered or payed, and got my Checks in about 35 days although I am still missing one from last month. The other people that work there seem nice too, although there are a lot of rumors that the same people work every time.

Wow

Aug 15, 2011

I never paid the $50 registration fee but submitted on casting networks for a Monday gig on Friday morning. That afternoon I get booked for by a different casting agency on a different show.

I get a call from Jennifer at Background Inc. around 8ish pm asking me to work on Monday. I tell her that I cant because was already booked for Monday. She then very rudely and angrily said "Well if you weren't available why did you submit?!“ and I told her, "I'm sorry but when I submitted this morning I was available but got boomed a few hours ago." She then said "fine" and abruptly hung up! I was shocked at how rude and unprofessional she was!

Dorothea Swiac

Jul 29, 2011

This has NEVER been my experience with Jennifer or anyone on her team. In fact, she has gotten me a lot of work and I am always thankful for it. Although I'm really not doing BG any more, I do take the work when she calls IF I am available.

1-20 of 30 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Background Inc.
Filing a new complaint about
×